Tuesday, February 8, 2011

try it tuesday



In my efforts to try new things in the kitchen, I made my first batch of ginger molasses cookies recently. And my first thought? Why the heck haven't I made these before?! They're soo easy!



Giant Ginger Cookies
Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook

4 1/2 cups flour
4 tsp. ground ginger
2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ground cloves (I didn't have cloves, so I used all spice)
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups shortening
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup molasses
3/4 cup sugar (This is for rolling the cookies before baking. I didn't need this much. I'd say use a little at a time as needed.)

Combine together flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt; set aside.

In a large mixing bowl beat shortening with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds to soften. Gradually add the 2 cups granulated sugar. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in eggs and molasses. Beat in as much of the flour mixture as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour mixture.

Shape dough into 2-inch balls (this is flexible; you can make smaller cookies and bake less time accordingly). Roll balls in the 3/4 cup coarse or granulated sugar (I used regular granulated sugar but next time I think I'll spring for the coarse stuff to make them prettier).

Bake at 350F for 12 to 14 minutes (10 minutes in my hell fire oven) or until cookies are light brown and puffed.

The key? Definitely don't over-bake. If you do, you'll have ginger snaps on your hands, though admittedly there are worse things to have than ginger snaps.



Now all you need is a scratch and sniff computer screen. Mmm ...

No comments:

Post a Comment