Tuesday, April 5, 2011

try it tuesday

Holla. It's TRY IT TUESDAY!


On a recent trip to Walmart with friends A and D, we were on the hunt for some good glass cleaner for car windows. D asked one of the associates in the service centre for his recommendation, and he said the best thing to use is one cup of vinegar mixed with a gallon of water and use newspaper instead of paper towel. Easy enough, and we didn't have to spend $6.50 a can on the special car-window foam.

Instead of mixing such a high volume, I did the math went to Google and figured out that there are 16 cups in a gallon ... so here are my smaller ratios:

1 cup vinegar: 16 cups water
1/2 cup vinegar: 8 cups water
1/4 cup vinegar: 4 cups water

You're welcome.

So I mixed it up, filled an empty spray bottle and went to work. In sake of real science, I used the homemade recipe to clean one of our front windows, and Windex to clean the other.


There's nothing streak-free about that shine. This is the water and vinegar window. I scrubbed and wiped with the newspaper and it just didn't absorb the excess like paper towel.

Admittedly, Windex worked much better. The downside to the paper towel is the white lint dust that's left over.

So I did a little switcheroo, using the homemade solution with paper towel, which seems like a reasonable compromise, no?

So the moral of the story, use the vinegar you already have in the cupboard instead of spending money on brand-name, chemical glass cleaner. Not only am I saving my pennies, but I have the added peace-of-mind of knowing that any left-over residue on the glass or window sills is completely safe for little fingers.

1 comment:

  1. Katie copied this recipe from a TV show when she was a little kid (guess my windows were dirty) and it does work well.

    1/2 C ammonia
    1 C vinegar
    2 Tbsp cornstarch
    1 gal. warm water

    ReplyDelete