Monday, February 13, 2012

10 years

Ten years ago on this day, I was… 

 ... in high school. Grade 12, to be specific. I was a senior, anxious to get on with my life and terrified of the prospect. Oh man, if I could only have known then what I know now. If I could, I'd tell the 17 year old me that it's all going to work out. Despite one particular university rejection letter, a couple stressful breakups, and getting laid off ... twice. I would tell her to save more of that student loan money so she wouldn't have to pay it back later. I'd remind her say yes to as many unique opportunities as she can. I'd insist that she worry less about body image and focus more on being healthy. I might even give her a hint about the love that was waiting around the corner and about how motherhood would change her forever.

 It's hard to believe that this summer we'll mark our 10 year reunion, and I'll celebrate 10 years of being a Haligonian. Time really does fly when you're having fun. Where were you 10 years ago?

 Thanks, as always, to Mama Kat for the writer's prompt.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, 10 years ago today, I was in my first year of university. It seems like a lifetime ago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like my daughter to read this. She is in grade 12 and many of the things you have said here are things I tell her often. Hoping she might listen more to someone she admires and looks up to instead of just her Mom nagging her yet again. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete