Lovely friend H bought the house of her dreams last week. So, the fact that I've been surfing MLS non-stop for the past week or so can be squarely blamed on her.
We love where we live now, but ultimately there are restrictions to a renter's life ... no planning big renos, no building equity, no ... well, ownership. We've done little projects here and there, but I have the decorating/organizing/diy itch often, and there's only so much you can do in someone else's casa.
We're surveying our options and counting our pennies, just in preparation for the inevitability. This isn't the first time we've started on this road, but who knows, maybe it'll end differently this time.
So, I put these questions to you, dear readers, and am happily accepting any and all advice in these matters:
1) Detached vs. semi-detached? I admit that I am already very set on this matter, but I will open it to the floor anyway.
2) Fix-er-upper vs. new construction?
3) Oil heat vs. electric heat?
4) Subdivision (0.2 acre) vs. more rural (1+ acres)?
5) What are your top "red flags" when it comes to viewing houses?
Thanks, in advance.