Tuesday, March 9, 2010

try it tuesday


I'm always looking for inexpensive, healthy, vegetarian recipes. Especially recipes that are easily adaptable for meat eaters, too.

I printed a recipe for Easy, Inexpensive Lentil Tacos a while ago and finally got around to trying them over the weekend.

It's pretty simple, and I adapted it to make it even easier.

Put into a pot:
3/4 c. dry brown lentils (I used green because that's what I had)
3/4 c. brown rice
4 bouillon cubes (I used chicken. Yes, I am a veggie who isn't afraid of chicken flavour.)
4 c. water

It then called for a variety of spices that I didn't have readily available, so I used the Old El Paso taco seasoning that came in the kit. Combine everything in a pot, bring to a boil, cover and let it simmer on medium until all of the liquid is absorbed.


Voila. That's your filling. Easy peasy.

Lovely friend A and I chopped up some green pepper and cucumbers and grated some cheddar for the top.


I prefer soft tacos to the hard ones, so we wrapped them all up and added some taco sauce to the top.


The result — total deliciousness! They taste like a cross between a soft taco and a burrito and the filling is super flavourful. It would be great on top of a taco salad. The texture is reasonable for meat eaters, too.

I give this recipes 5 stars. It was super cheap, very easy and I can't wait to eat more leftovers for supper tonight! Try it!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds pretty good. What did Husband think -- as a meat-eater? Was it comparable to regular taco meat?

    ReplyDelete