Tuesday, September 14, 2010

try it tuesday


I have to say that I'd really like to be giving birth as my Try It Tuesday this week ... but I hold out absolutely no hope that it will actually happen today, so how about muffins instead? Sounds more pleasant, doesn't it?

I made a new recipe recently that I really think is worth sharing. While we're at it, let's make it a Try It Tuesday, because trust me, you're going to want to try this one for yourself!


Whole Grain Banana-Pecan Muffins (Recipe adapted from Cooking Light)

3/4 c. all-purpose flour
1 1/4 c. whole wheat flour
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. honey (you can substitute 1/4 c. sugar here if you prefer)
1/4 c. butter, softened
2 large eggs
1 1/2 c. mashed very ripe banana (about 2 large bananas or 3 smaller ones)
1/3 c. low-fat sour cream or plain yogurt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 c. pecans, chopped
1/4 c. packed brown sugar

Preheat the oven to 350.

Whisk together the flours, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the sugar, honey (if using), and butter. Add each egg in one at a time, combining completely after each addition but not over-mixing. Add the mashed banana, yogurt, and vanilla. Slowly add in the flour mixture and beat until just combined (don't over-mix).

Admittedly, I didn't read the recipe fully and tossed all the pecans right into the batter. Oopsie! I chopped some extra to be added to the tops. Turned out well though. A happy mistake.

Divide the batter evenly (so the cups are about 2/3 full) among 15-16 muffin tins. I actually filled just 12 cups up to the brim, providing lots of batter for the muffins to grow little tops in the oven. Combine the chopped pecans and brown sugar and sprinkle them on top of the batter. Bake for 23-28 minutes.

These are so tasty! Not too sweet; perfect for breakfast on the go. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Those look delicious! I am not the biggest fan of nuts, but I might eat them just because they look so pretty hehe

    ReplyDelete